Sunday, November 23, 2014

Day #65

Welp, a lot has happened since my last post.

When we got back to our hotel last night, our room had been robbed. Fortunately for me, I only had a few things stolen- my charger, adaptor, and key to my accommodation at the University of Kent. I was staying with four friends, one whose laptop and passport were stolen, another whose backpack was stolen with all of her clothes and toiletries in it, another whose backpack and some clothes were stolen, and the last whose University of Kent key was stolen. We had to stay up until 3:30am to talk to various people at the hotel, make phone calls from the desk since none of us have international phones, and talk to the police. They moved our room so that they could fingerprint, and told us to talk to the manager in the morning, who would be in a little before 9.

We got down to the lobby around 8:30. The manager arrived around 10:15. Unfortunately, the most we are probably going to be compensated would be around £125, and my friend had to spend today and will spend tomorrow talking to the United States embassy to try to get a temporary passport before we leave on Tuesday afternoon. We also had planned to take a 12 hour tour of the countryside today (Sunday), but were thankfully able to move the trip to tomorrow (Monday) since it leaves at 8am. So all in all, last night and this morning were not the best after very, very little sleep. 

BUT that being said, today was truly a lovely day in Dublin. Two of my friends and I grabbed brunch and pastries at an adorable store/cafe with two adorable old men singing jazz music. We walked through trinity college and went shopping so my friend could replace her stolen backpack and clothes, and I could replace my charger and adaptor. We checked into our hostel, which is incredibly nice and I actually get to sleep in a bed (I took the floor in the hotel)! We rounded out the night with a tapas bar, where we sampled 6 different tapas between 4 of us and enjoyed every bite. We were back at the hostel before 9:30, just the way I like it. With our alarm set for 6:15am and a full day of bus and gorgeous mountainside ahead of us, Ireland is definitely looking up for 18 hours ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment