Thursday, December 18, 2014

Day #90

Well folks, they're done. I have finished both of my finals. I still need to hand in the hard copy of my second paper to the English office tomorrow before noon, but it's been written and printed and submitted online so let's all just heave a giant collective sigh of relief together, ready? PHEW.

When we went to the library this morning (before we knew we would be staying there for well over 12 hours) we looked at our essays and thought to ourselves:


But lo and behold, I'm actually very pleased with the way my werewolf story turned out. Not at all how I expected, but it's dark and mysteriously scary and was influenced by Poe, so you can't really go wrong there. Again, if anyone has any desire to read 927 words about a werewolf asking about the hypocrisy of humanity, be sure to let me know, yeah? 

One of my friends has almost exclusively done all of the planning for every group get-together and activity, from a family dinner in the beginning of the semester to our recent Secret Santa and beyond. To thank her, some of my friends got her a journal and pasted pictures from the term throughout it, mixed with messages from all of us. It was bittersweet to see her so happy about the gift, but we all had the same sad realization that this incredible experience is coming to an end. 

(Fair warning, it's about to overflow with sap like trees from Vermont) Each of us sacrificed a lot individually to come here, and tonight was definitely one of the many moments solidifying that everything was worth it. Starting at a different university for the third year in a row, having to make new friends for the third time, and knowing it would all culminate in a third tearful goodbye is a lot to acknowledge going into a situation, not to mention all of the other factors I had to weigh in making the decision to come here. But now I have wonderful friends all over the world, and I am so much better for the experience. 


I'm gonna go ahead and quite a song from Camp Bonnie Brae, the girl scount camp I attended back in the cool days of my youth:

"I want to linger a little longer, a little longer here with you.
It's such a perfect night; it doesn't seem quite right that it should be my last with you
And as the years go by, I'll think of you and sigh...
This is goodnight and not goodbye."

No comments:

Post a Comment