Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day #200

Hello all I am alive I am well and I am German. What better way to get back into my blog than with day 200? Actually, that's incredibly terrifying to think about. 200 is a very large number. Imagine if you had 200 gorillas in one zoo exhibit. Or if 200 bees were chasing you. I'm not sure why I have animals on the mind, but in other news Heidelberg does have a Zoo which I have yet to visit but it looks, as the Germans say, "sehr toll" (aka "very awesome sauce"; look at all this knowledge you're gaining from reading my blog again!)

I'll have you all know that I am older and wiser than I was when I last posted. Here are a list of my recent accomplishments, just to recap:

- I finished my month-long German course and now know how to order things from cafes and sometimes people accidentally think that I can speak some German because I can say "Meine Deutsch ist neicht so gut" and then they begin to reassure me (in German) that my German really is good! But what they don't know is that I've been practicing that specific phrase for a month and really can't speak much else. So I smile and nod a lot. But here's a picture of my adorable class and our adorable teacher:


- I have traveled to Metz, France; Strasbourg, France; and the Black Forest in Freiberg, Germany on three of my four past weekends

Metz

Strasbourg

Black Forest 

- The name of tram stop for my accommodation is Bergfriedhof, which literally translates to "Mountain Graveyard". Which is frustratingly fitting, as I live across from a graveyard. On a mountain.
- Although I am in Germany and not Austria, I have taken Julie Andrew's advice and climbed every mountain. By every, I mean two. One was in the Black Forest, and I've climbed the Philosopher's Trail mountain in Heidelberg twice. The Philosopher's trail mountain is coolness because there's a playground halfway up and an old abandoned Nazi Amphitheater at the top.


- I have learned how to salsa dance at a free class in the rec center.
- I have gotten stuck in two trees and needed assistance getting down. Thanks, Tom.


- I have gone to a carnival and ridden THE SCARIEST RIDE IN THE WORLD and it was terrifying. But look at all that friendship!


- I have, yet again, been deemed the mom of my friend group. And am shockingly okay with it.
- GOTTEN THE KEYS TO THE PIANO ROOM IN MY ACCOMMODATION SO I AM NOW ONE HAPPY CLAM
- I have successfully given directions in German!

So now that you're updated, here are some other important things that are not necessarily accomplishments, but I think deserve honorable mentions:

- My package from England (you know, the one that had all the stuff I didn't bring backpacking aka basically my entire life) FINALLY ARRIVED
- I got to pet a lot of dogs (this one is particularly important)
- I set up a German bank account and everything so I guess that means I'm a real adult now or something?
- I had to register for my Fall semester classes at UMass before I registered for my classes this semester in Heidelberg
- I have survived two minor colds aka the plague
- German bread is better than your bread, sorry not sorry but I'm right
- I HAVE WIFI IN MY ROOM THANK THE LORD

Some un-Germany related things:

- I now have a job at UMass for the Fall semester working as an international orientation leader for incoming international students! Basically what I said in the interview was that since I've studied abroad twice, so therefore I have twice the experience and am twice as poor, so I am twice as qualified and need the income twice as badly as everyone else applying.
- Remember that creative writing class I accidentally took in England? Well my midterm and final have both been accepted into a HFA Art Expo at UMass this spring!
- MY SWEET KAYLA SHEA IS COMING TO VISIT ME ON HER WAY BACK FROM JAPAN!!!! Backstory: Kayla and I fell in roommate love when she was my roommate last year. She's currently at the tail end of her year abroad in Japan, so she decided to make her layover back to the States be in GERMANY!!! The excitement is overwhelming and she is da bomb dot com.
- I got to skype-search for Easter eggs this past Sunday because my family is better than yours.

Here are some other pictures because you all know I'm really good at taking pictures:

We had a break for Frühstück every day to break up our three hours of German class. Ich liebe Frühstück!

Lol this is what one of the university rooms looks like

I am in the Black Forest and may or may not be an inspirational elementary school poster

HAHAH THIS IS HEIDELBERG LIKE I LIVE HERE!??!?

I will try to be better at updating. Honestly, I will. I pinky promise. And I take my pinky promises very seriously. Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment