Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day #212

Today was the day. Sunday, that is. And also the day I got to see my former high school choir perform all the way over here in Germany! So, basically, the single reason I came to Munich.

They did not disappoint. I woke up early to catch a train and then walk a bit through suburban Munich to find Herz-Jesu-Kirche, the church in which Lyrics was performing. It's an incredible space, and, according to Mr. Fontes, only about 15 years old. It's made from lots of glass squares that let in natural light all around the church, and wooden panels that filter that light towards the alter so that the most illuminated part of the church is right up front, the light streaming in from all corners of the church. I got there early and was able to listen to Lyrics warm up, which brought nostalgic thoughts to mind and perhaps maybe even possibly a tear to my eye. Or maybe it was just something in my eye. Something very much like a memory.


I listened to the mass in German (and understood some of it!!!), interspersed with their beautiful voices. I have absolutely no idea if this blog will let me add audio, but I recorded four of their songs and will try desperately to include them in this post.

I missed these people and the music we make together.


This also means that my Lyrics trip to Italy was over 4 years ago HAHAHAHAHHA WHAT.

I walked back through little suburbia, found some Frühstück, and walked around some gardens before heading back to our hostel to pack up and get on our 5:30 train home. Even though we miscalculated juuuuust a little and took the tram back to Heidelberg from Mannheim (that leg of the journey took us over an hour, even though Mannheim is the next town over, because it stopped at every. Single. Stop.), we got to listen to some great Freakonomics episodes and bond over the ridiculousness of eating bread and cheese and salami and grapes on a train and finishing our leftovers at 10pm because, like normal people, we got hungry again. BUT we got back safe and sound, and Heidelberg feels like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment